Present Academic Rank and Position
- Resident Physician: Department of Otorhinolaryngology
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Anticipated Graduation: June 2019
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, New Orleans
- Doctor of Medicine, 2010-2014
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 2006-2010
- Bachelor of Biology
- Minor in Chemistry
- Magna cum laude
MEDICAL LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATIONS
License to Practice Medicine and Surgery, State of Minnesota
- License Number: 59509
- USMLE Step 1 (2012), USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (2013), USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (2013), USMLE Step 3 (2015)
- USMLE Step 1 Score: 251: 90th percentile for testing year
- USMLE Step 2 Score: 259: 90th percentile for testing year
Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Instructor and Provider
- Certified Instructor: 2015 to present
AWARDS AND HONORS
George D. Lyons Award for Excellence in Otolaryngology
- Annual award selected by ENT faculty given at medical school graduation ceremony to one student pursuing a residency in Otolaryngology
Magna cum laude: Louisiana State University, 2010
Chancellor’s Honor Roll: Fall 2006, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010
Dean’s List: Spring 2007, Fall 2007
Louisiana Freshman Merit Award
Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society and senior student committee member, 2009-2010
Chancellor’s Student Aide Scholarship, 2006-2010
LEADERSHIP AND PREVIOUS PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS
Resident Representative, Mayo Clinic Department of Otorhinolaryngology, July 2017 to present.
- Peer-elected position to serve as liaison between residents and staff as well as to serve on residency application and selection committee
Mayo Clinic Quality Assurance Committee, Resident Representative, July 2016 to present.
Urgent Care Physician: Apple Valley Medical Center. Apple Valley, MN. June 2017 to present.
ENT Interest Group- President, Fall 2011-Spring 2012
- LSU School of Medicine, New Orleans
- Served as president during its first full year as a campus organization; helped organize a free oral cancer screening in New Orleans as a service project for group members
AHEC Day with the Doctors, Spring 2012
- Participated in a day-long tour and served as a panelist as part of Louisiana’s Area Health Education Center
LSU School of Medicine Camp Tiger- Counselor and Committee member, Spring 2011
- Medical student service project, week-long summer camp for children with physical and mental disabilities; also served as a Committee board member
LSU Cadgis Research Laboratory- Staff member, Manager, and Quartermaster, Fall 2006-Fall 2009
- Baton Rouge, La; As a part of the Chancellor’s Student Aide Program and scholarship which provided on-campus, working opportunities for undergraduate students
The Princeton Review- MCAT preparation instructor, Biology, Spring 2009
- Served as an instructor on preparation for the Biological Sciences section of the Medical Collegiate Admission Test; Paid employment
Personal Exercise Trainer- Certification: The Cooper Institute, Dallas, Tx, Summer 2006-2009
- Served as a personal exercise trainer and staff member; Paid employment
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
“Pediatric Tracheal Stenosis: Surgical Management Options.” Otorhinolaryngology Grand Rounds.
Presented at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. November 2015.
”Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: Developing Trends and Updates on Management.” Otorhinolaryngology Grand Rounds. Presented at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. October 2016.
“Anesthesia for Otolaryngologic Procedures.” Core Curriculum lecture given to Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic. February 2017.
”Benign and Malignant Lesions of the Nasopharynx.” Otorhinolaryngology Grand Rounds. Presented at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. July 2017.
Noel, PB, Rivera M, Kasperbauer J. High Grade, Poorly Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma Arising Within a Well Differentiated Follicular Neoplasm: a Rare Histopathologic Finding and a Challenging Surgical Dilemma. Poster presented at AAO-HNSF meeting, Chicago 2017.
Noel, DB, Moore EJ. Always Palpate Level IIb: a Photographic Representation of the Ectatic Internal Carotid Artery and Its Importance in eek Dissection. Poster presented at AAO-HNSF meeting, Chicago 2017.
Noel DB, Hutz MJ, White JR, Torres-Mora J, Ekbom DC. Angiomyxoma of the Epiglottis with a Single Institution Case Series. Poster presented at Combined Sections Meeting, Chicago 2016.
Noel DB, Ziebarth M, Kasperbauer J. Killian-Jamieson diverticulum presenting as unilateral vocal cord paresis: a rare Otolaryngologic finding with an atypical presentation. Poster presented at Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego 2017.
Noel DB, Fink DS, Kunduk M, Schexnaildre MA, Dileo M, McWhorter AJ. Secondary tracheoesophageal puncture using transnasal esophagoscopy in gastric pull-up reconstruction after total laryngopharyngoesophagectomy. Head Neck. 2016;38(3):E61-3.
Noel DB, Walvekar R, Pelaez L. Utility of Ultrasonagraphy in Evaluation of Vocal Cord Mobility Following Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery. Poster presented at: Medical Student Summer Research Symposium; July 2011; New Orleans, La.
- Also presented at Combined Otolaryngological Spring Meeting, San Diego 2012
White JR, Orbelo DM, Noel DB, Pittelko RL, Maragos E, Ekbom DC. Thyroplasty in the previously irradiated neck: A case series and short-term outcomes. Laryngoscope. 2016;126(8):1849-53.
Wilson MN, Noel DB, Walvekar RR, Dileo M. Trans-axillary Robotic Thyroidectomy and Parathyroidectomy: A Preliminary Single Institution Experience. Poster presented at: AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting; 2013 September; Vancouver, Canada.
Wilson MN, Noel DB, Walvekar RR, Dileo M. Trans-axillary Robotic Thyroidectomy: Avoiding the Chest Port. Poster presented at: AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting; 2013 September; Vancouver, Canada.
IRB-approved ongoing projects and abstracts, first author:
- Improving Pain and Swallowing After Transoral Robotic-Assisted Oropharyngectomy: the Utility of Gabapentin in the Peri-operative Period
- This retrospective project is the largest-to-date series in the Head and Neck surgical literature reviewing Gabapentin’s effect on pain and swallowing after trans oral robotic surgery
- Use of Automatic Periodic Stimulation and Continuous EMG for Facial Nerve Monitoring During Parotidectomy
- IRB approved and industry funded, this study is the first to utilize continuous, evoked
- EMG monitoring of the facial nerve during parotid surgery
- Transhyoid approach for base of tongue tumors: a retrospective outcomes review of the Mayo Clinic Experience
- Solitary Fibrous Tumors of the Head and Neck: the Mayo Clinic Experience
OPERATIVE COURSES AND FORMAL INSTRUCTION
Upper Midwest Skull Base Course. Advanced techniques in open and endoscopic approaches to the anterior and lateral skull base. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. August 2017.
Endoscopic Skull Base Dissection Course. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. January 2017.
- First place award for endoscopic Abducens nerve dissection
Home Study Course: American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery. July 2015- July 2017.
Microvascular techniques and neurroraphy workshop. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. January 2018. Advanced Techniques in Endoscopic Surgery of the Anterior Skull Base. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. January, 2018.
Health Fair and Oral Cancer Screening- Volunteer, Spring 2012
- Provided free oral cancer screening, primary care screening, as well as general health and nutritional education to residents of a low-income area in New Orleans with LSU Oncology faculty
Oral Cancer Screening- Volunteer, Spring 2012
- Participated in a free oral cancer screening at Our Lady of the Lake hospital in Baton Rouge, Louisiana with faculty of LSU Otolaryngology
Medical Mission trip – Guatemala, Summer 2011
- Ten day mission trip with fellow medical students providing primary care as well as giving general health and nutritional education to underprivileged residents of rural villages in Guatemala
Oral Cancer Screening – Volunteer, Spring 2011
- Provided free oral cancer screening and education at University Hospital to patients in the New Orleans area, hosted by the ENT and Oncology interest groups in conjunction with the LSU department of Otolaryngology
Pediatric Emergency Room – Volunteer, Fall 2009
- Our Lady of the Lake hospital in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND SOCIETIES
American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery. July 2014 to present. Mayo Clinic Fellows Association. July 2014 to present.
Minnesota Medical Association, July 2016 to present.