- B.S. Pre-Med – Northeast Louisiana University – Monroe, LA – 1980
- Geosciences – Northeast Louisiana University – Monroe, LA – 1984
- Doctor of Medicine – Louisiana State University – Shreveport, LA – 1986-1990
- Family Medicine – Memorial Health University Medical Center – Savannah, GA – 1991
- Family Medicine – LSU Medical Center – Shreveport, LA – 1993
- American Board of Family Practice
- Hospice & Palliative Medicine Family Practice
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians
- Louisiana State Medical Society
- Shreveport Medical Society
- Chief Resident Family Practice 1993
- Preceptor of the year family practice department 2012, 2013, 2014
- Board-certified hospice and palliative medicine
- Senior aviation medical examiner FAA
- Dr. Barksdale has been in private practice for over 20 years in Shreveport and was one of the leading family practice physicians in the area.
- Dr. Barksdale is the son of Hardtner Medical Center’s first administrator M.L. Barksdale.
- His hobbies include flying and playing guitar.
- Dr. Barksdale also performs flight physicals for pilots from Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas.